In cash games, the objective is to win money; in tournaments, the objective is to top the chip leaderboard to receive the largest payouts. They function somewhat differently and will be discussed in greater depth later. You must hold the best hands at the appropriate time to win the pot. Past is past, poker emphasizes you to forget the last play and start focusing on the current game. You may have lost the last game and money but your past doesn’t define you.
Here are the top five hands that, according to conventional poker rules, can be used:
- The rarest poker hand is the royal flush. It occurs when you make a ten-to-ace straight, like A, K, Q, J, and T.
- Direct Flush: If you have five cards in a row with different suits, such as 8-7-6-5-4, you have a straight flush.
- 4-of-a-Kind: The name speaks for itself! You have quads if you have four of the same card, such as A 4 4 4 4!
- Full House: Also referred to as a “boat,” it occurs when you have three of a kind in addition to a pair. A♦A♣A♥J♥J♠.
- Four suits are available in poker (diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs). It is called a flush when all five cards are of the same suit. A good illustration is A J 8 4 2.
- Straight: A straight is five cards in a row of different suits, such as 8-7-6-5-4. A “wheel” is a straight A-2-3-4-5, whereas “Broadway” is 10-J-Q-K-A.
- When you have three identical cards, like the A, K, and 555, you have three-of-a-kind. It is “a set” if you make three of a kind with a pair in the hole and one on the board. Trips are made when two cards are on the board and one in the hole.
- You have two pairs when you have not one but two pairs. Your kicker card is the sixth one. For instance, you have kings and fives with an ace kicker if you have AK5K5.
- One Pair: Each suit has thirteen different cards. Any time two are matched, it’s referred to as a pair. For instance, an ace pair is AA7422.
- It boils down to the high card if nobody can construct a ranking hand (different suits, not connected, not paired). It all boils down to your high card (connected, unpaired) (s). Ace-queen high is when you have the letters AQ963.