We have been home almost a week now. One week to open suitcases and get back to a normal routine.
The trip back was uneventful but long and when I say that I mean 30 hour long. At the end of which I was so glad to finally see my house. The first days are difficult, I miss my family, I miss the bright sun and the kids are disoriented and they miss everyone too. I get a weird feeling of not belonging and then slowly our life settles back. Those are times I like to keep busy. After all the saying is busy hands steady the heart.
With three knits missing the finishing details and some little sewing projects I think I will be good for a little bit. Today though I wanted to change things up a bit and we decided to make a cake. i remembered this little butter cake that doesn’t need any baking. Perfect for a hot day!
For the cake you will need:
- 24 small petit beurre (or tea cookies should do the trick)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tsp instant coffee (or any leftovers from your morning coffee)
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup confectionner sugar (or icing sugar)
- 7 tbsp butter
- make black coffee sweetened with warm water, sugar and instant coffee. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Prepare the cream: Mix the egg and sugar with a wooden spoon until a runny cream.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and work until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the egg-sugar mixture into the butter while whisking.
- Form the base of the cake: Coat very quickly 6 butter cookies in the coffee (do not let them soften). Arrange on a serving dish, side by side in a square or rectangle, depending on whether you wish to obtain a square or rectangular
- Spread about 1/4 of the cream on the cake.
- put 6 butter cookies slightly dampened and a layer of cream. Repeat the operation twice. If you have any leftover cream, brush on the sides.
- Decorate cake with grated chocolate or sprinkles.
- Put the cake cool for 1 hour before serving.
What’s your favorite dessert of the moment?